Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Double Don-age…



I’m liable to lose a load of visitors this week as I’m going to focus on a sport that’s dear to my heart this week…..the beautiful game that is cricket. Having featured him earlier on this year, I mentioned it is very difficult to travel around Australia without stumbling into some sort of memorial to the great Australian batsman Sir Donald Bradman, who is quite simply the finest exponent that game has ever seen. We have a couple more Bradman statues to share with you this evening anyway...

First up is Kate above, raising her bat outside the mighty MCG cricket stadium in Melbourne, much like SwissToni did two and a half years ago. I think Kate being an Aussie slightly shades the imitation stakes there.



Sir Donald played a large amount of his domestic cricket for the South Australian team, and, sure enough there’s another fine statue outside the picturesque Adelaide Oval cricket ground, as imitated first by myself, followed by Mr Poll. Look at the focus as each of us tackle the Don. Not bad for a pair of rubbish lower order batsmen.





Finally, I give you one of the more beautiful pictures of the Adelaide statue, featuring the cathedral in the background. I think this makes Sir Donald the most stood by statue we've featured on the site to date, which is no bad thing I suppose, however much it pains me to say that as an England cricket fan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't a clue concerning cricket but the statue and the featured players are fun. I really like the cathedral in the background. As Anglo-Saxon Americans, keep educating us about our very long-ago heritage.