Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A Hunger For Harbin...



And so every once in a while I like to go off on a slight tangent, and feature some sort of monument that I’d like to stand by. Tonight’s offering is in fact a whole bunch of monuments, all housed at the Harbin Snow and Ice festival.

Doesn’t it look ace! It’s a winter wonderland featuring a whole heap of ice sculptures just crying out to be imitated. As far as I can make out it is an annual festival held during January in Harbin, which is located in the Heilongjiang province of China, in the north of the country on the border with Russia. Okay, so it’s fairly cold up in those parts at that time of year, with an average temperature of minus twenty degrees Celsius, but hey, I think the discomfort would be worth it. I’d love to visit that’s for sure…

Have found some more amazing looking pictures here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Statue John, these pics have been floating around the internet e-mails for a while. I think that there is an archive that shows all the previous Harbin snow sculptures. Magnificent, aren't they?