Tuesday, July 10, 2007

A Colossal Koala…


*resurfaces*

Hello. I really must stop going AWOL all the time, especially as I have a ridiculous amount of statues to post. Shocking. Anyway, I shall try and make up for my poor statue attendance record recently by posting an Aussie Big Thing, the first we encountered on our trip down under earlier on this year.

I first posted about the Big Thing phenomenon back in 2005, where I introduced readers to the Big Banana and the Big Lobster. As far as I could make out when I visited, one of the primary reasons for Big Things is to provide drivers with a distraction as they drive along the huge empty boring highways that span Australia. They provided us with unfeasible excitement whenever we located them that’s for sure.

Tonight I present a Big Koala, one of three that live in the country. This one was located in Philip Island, a lovely little island just south of Melbourne, and was located near to a Koala sanctuary.

I am very happy to report that this is the third Aussie Big Thing featured on the site, and so we only have another 143 to go!

No comments: