Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Tackling Tennis Legends…



Okay, carrying on with the Aussie theme, tonight I bring you the first of many statues (and big things) encountered on the recent trip I took around Australia. These are likely to last for the rest of the year or so, quite possibly longer!

The first, and it has to be said, one of the best, cities I visited was Melbourne. I arrived midway through the second week of the Australian Open tennis tournament, the first grand slam tournament of the year. On entrance to the fantastic venue, situated right in the centre of town, you encounter the Australian tennis hall of fame. This essentially features a bust of some of the great Aussie tennis players over the years, and a new player is inducted on Australia day each year, during the tournament.

Anyways, on obtaining a lovely free pink sweatband, and having some rather silly hair after a few months on the road, it seemed only natural that my travelling companion, Mr Wondering Pollstar, took on the role of imitating Pat Cash!



I took on the slightly more refined role of imitating Rod Laver, considered by many to be one of the greatest players of all time.

Details of their respective careers and victories can be found below, and some very detailed write ups of some of the tennis we were fortunate enough to watch can be found on Mr Pollstar’s travel blog here. My thoughts on the three days spent there are: it’s a great tournament, played under some gorgeous bright blue skies and the atmosphere was fantastic! Those Aussies do host the major sporting events extremely well.



2 comments:

Anon said...

This is a really awesome blog! Statues can be beautiful and very interesting, and I love the idea of posing next to them, particularly imitating them. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to your future posts.

Anonymous said...

Is it me, or could VDP do with a hair cut?
Hey Statue John...long time no speak.
Katie x